His brother, Bryan, was a quarterback for Wisconsin (2004-05) and Hofstra (2007-08). The Pennsylvania prep was a three-year starter at QB and a U.S. Army All-America selection. Had a foot injury as a junior that ended his season. Began his college career at Rutgers in 2009, when he earned Freshman All-America honors as a true freshman by completing 149 of 285 passes for 2,211 yards (52 percent) with 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions in 12 games (11 starts). Went 43-of-83 (51.8) for 521 yards with two touchdowns and three INTs in six games in 2010; started the first four games before injuring his right hand and losing his starting job. Transferred to Arizona to play for head coach Mike Stoops but had to sit out the 2011 season because of NCAA transfer rules. After Stoops was fired and Rich Rodriguez was hired, he decided to transfer again to an offense that suited him better. Tried to go back to Rutgers, but hardship waiver was denied by the NCAA, so he enrolled at Pittsburgh. Had to sit out the 2012 season as a transfer. Finally returned to the field in 2013 and started all 13 games for Pitt, going 238-of-389 (61.2) for 2,958 yards with 21 TDs and nine INTs. Suffered a concussion against Virginia and bruised ribs in the Little Caesars Bowl vs. Bowling Green. Had a 17-11 record in 28 career starts. Team captain.
2014- Selected in the fourth round by the Houston Texans.
2015: Went on Injured Reserve
Tom in the News
- Tom Savage ready to prove his worth in contract season
- By all accounts, Tom Savage has what it takes to be an NFL quarterback
- Tom Savage leads Texans to comeback win over Jaguars
- Tom Savage shows why Texans like his upside at QB
- Texans’ Tom Savage keeps starter’s mindset
- Texans QB Tom Savage ‘healthy and ready to roll’
- Texans quarterback Tom Savage is eager to compete for the starting job next season
- As Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett sputter, Tom Savage shows promise for Texans
- Tom Savage More Confident Heading Into Year 2
- Texans rookie QB Tom Savage plays hero in win over Broncos
- Houston Texans Pick Their QB: But who is Tom Savage?
- Tom Savage’s maturity impressed O’Brien