Janoris Jenkins named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week
Jenkins scored the Giants’ only touchdown in their 16-13 victory over New Orleans on Sunday when he scooped up a blocked field goal and returned it 65 yards for the score.
Wil Lutz’s 38-yard attempt was blocked by Johnathan Hankins. The touchdown broke a scoreless tie with 2:30 remaining in the second quarter.
\Jenkins scored the Giants’ first touchdown on a blocked field goal since Dec. 7, 2008, when another cornerback, Kevin Dockery, ran one back 71 yards vs. Philadelphia. Jenkins, who signed with the Giants on March 10 after four seasons with the Rams, scored his seventh career touchdown – five on interception returns, one on a fumble return and the blocked field goal.
In the victory over New Orleans, Jenkins had a busy day. He also led the Giants with eight tackles (seven solo) and two passes defensed.
Jenkins is the Giants’ first recipient of the NFC special teams accolade since Week 9 of the 2015 season, when Josh Brown was honored after kicking field goals of 35, 35, 53 and 44 yards in a victory in Tampa Bay.
This is the 26th time a Giants player has received the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week Award. Jenkins is the fifth defensive player, and the first defensive back, to be honored.
More News and Media
- LOGAN RYAN PERFECTLY SUMS UP PATRIOTS SEASON, SUPER BOWL LI
- Brandon LaFell ranked among best NFL No. 2 receivers at creating separation
- Logan Ryan yearns to be key game-changer for Patriots
- Logan Ryan keeps making big plays for defense
- Lions’ Warford remains grounded as open market beckons
- Cards’ new starting guard Taylor Boggs is the NFL’s feel-good holiday story
- Heart to heart helps Bears’ right tackle Bobby Massie figure it out
- By all accounts, Tom Savage has what it takes to be an NFL quarterback
- Tom Savage leads Texans to comeback win over Jaguars
- With Darrelle Revis washed up, Giants CB Janoris Jenkins one of best in NFL
- How Janoris Jenkins beat Dez Bryant and won game for Giants
- Meet Vikings star Alex Boone, the maniacal savage with a sensitive soul
- Former Humboldt State Lumberjack Taylor Boggs Is Back on the NFL Gridiron for the Arizona Cardinals
- Bengals’ Brandon LaFell: Leading receiver in win over Eagles
- Bengals’ Brandon LaFell, now 30, still ‘kid’ to mentor Steve Smith
- Lions’ Larry Warford finds ways to relax, reminisce as talented musician
- Giants’ Janoris Jenkins demands respect after shutting down Bengals’ AJ Green
- Janoris Jenkins would relish a rematch with A.J. Green
- Janoris Jenkins, Landon Collins have Giants defense leading charge at mid-season mark
- Move to Cincinnati gives Brandon LaFell a new career path